50 saltine crackers (approx.)
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, cubed (I used butter not margarine)
1 cup soft light brown sugar, packed
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 to 1 cup M&M’s, chopped nuts or sliced almonds (I used red and green M&M’s)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
1. Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray, and then line the pan with saltine crackers.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a medium sized pot over low medium-low heat. Stir until the butter is melted.
Once the butter has melted, bring to a boil for 2–3 minutes. Stir constantly.
3. Once it’s nice and bubbly, remove pan from heat and pour evenly over saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife; however, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Try to move fast during this part so the toffee doesn’t harden.
4. Place pan in the oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
5. Remove pan from oven, and then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the toffee while it’s still hot. Let the chocolate chips melt for a few minutes, and then spread all over the toffee with a spatula. Sprinkle M&Ms (or nuts) on top and place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until hard. Once chocolate has hardened, break pieces off the foil and put in a container. It will stay fresh for 1–2 weeks.
Submitted by Dawn, who brought these delicious treats to Bible study before our Christmas season break.